Thursday 14 March 2013

My Current Inspiration




Recently I have been really getting into RuPaul's Drag Race. For those who don't know, it is an American competition TV show hosted and created by RuPaul Charles, who is a very successful and well-known Drag Queen. Depending on the series, different amounts of Drag Queens varying in experiences and specialities compete for the title of America's Next Drag Superstar. Prior to watching this I didn't really know much about Drag Queens, but now I just think they are amazing. Not only are many of them extremely talented at designing and producing their own clothes, but there are also those with a great sense of humour and performance skills.

Unsurprisingly, the main inspiration I draw from them is their make up. I've never been one to shy away from bright colours, glitter and dramatic looks, so naturally I'm always looking at their make up thinking about how I would wear that myself.

For those who watch I have to say some of my favourite contestants over the series have definitely been Sharon Needles, Raja, Jujubee, Manila Luzon, Latrice Royale, Jinkx Monsoon, and Alaska. If you don't watch, you definitely should! I know some people don't really 'get' Drag Queens, but if you watch the show (especially with an open mind) you can't help but love the personalities and talent.

Jujubee

Sharon Needles

Manila Luzon

Jinkx Monsoon

Alaska

Raja

Latrice Royale

I'm very likely to post make up looks in the future that have been inspired by contestants in the show, and I'll try to remember to mention it when I do :D

I also want to mention that I've been inspired by a lot of them as human beings. Many faced bullying, abuse and neglect because of being gay, and because of being Drag Queens, but they manage to be amazing people who are so supportive of each other, and always find humour in bleak situations. The show itself is so unlike other competition shows where it's about beating the competition because they always refer to each other as family and manage to overcome differences. As you'd expect there are arguments, as there are such HUGE personalities, and not everyone can be nice, but in the end they always seem to resolve their differences.

It's also fun to watch because you get to learn a whole different language almost. There is so much slang I'd never heard before, but actually have to stop myself using in conversation because no one will know what I'm talking about, haha. No tea, no shade! 

What inspires you? 

Thanks for reading (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment