Thursday 18 July 2013

Tutorial: Ash Costello (New Years Day)

Sites like Instagram, Tumblr and YouTube are where I go when I'm lacking inspiration, and over time I've found very talented make up artists, as well as just really interesting and creative people.

On Instagram I like to look through the photos/videos the people I'm following have liked as a way of finding new people to follow. In doing this I came across Ash Costello, who I immediately had to follow if not only for her amazing split dyed orange and black Halloween hair, but also for her style and love of all things creepy. I felt like I had found a kindred spirit! She also comes across as a lovely person, who appreciates everything she has.



I quickly realised she was not just any Instagram user, but the very talented vocalist for the band New Years Day, who I had never heard of before. I began to notice that she had a very distinctive and recognisable make up style, and before I knew it I felt that pull to give it a go. I decided it would make a great make up tutorial because I've been wanting to do more 'alternative' looks, and I thought that any fans of New Years Day might be interested to see a tutorial. Naturally I copied it as best I could, but had to adapt it based on the fact my eyebrows are nowhere near as arched as hers!

Typically, her eye make up tends to be a big black oval that is unblended, with either a red or a neutral on the inner third. She also seems to wear a thin and long line of liquid eyeliner, and either a red, dark reddy purple or black lip. She also tends to wear one red contact lens (and maybe a black one in the other eye, it's hard to tell), which I desperately wish I had to be able to wear for this tutorial!


I have since listened to their new album 'Victim to Villain', and greatly surprised myself by liking it. Don't get me wrong, this kind of music is right up my alley, but generally (and I really don't know why) I dislike listening to music with a female vocalist. Something about this band breaks that rule, and I really enjoy listening to them. So I encourage any of you who haven't heard of them to check them out!


Incidentally, I have found myself very inspired by the album cover of Victim to Villain, which I absolutely love. So I wanted to incorporate that into this look. From what I gather it's popular for fans to recreate this look, and Ash posted a collage of this on her Instagram.



she's so kind!!

So that is my inspiration, and here is the look I did!
 

 
Face (not part of the tutorial)
Revlon ColorStay Makeup Combination/Oily Skin - 150 Buff
Healthspan Nurture  - Illuminating Touch Treatment Concealer
 Revlon ColorStay Pressed Powder - Light

Sleek Face Form Palette - Light (I only used the contour powder)
 Stila All Over Shimmer Duo - Kitten


Eyebrows
Urban Decay e/s - Blackout
No.7 Lash & Brow Perfector 

I decided to Photoshop in a red eye, and I love it!

Eyes
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Sugarpill e/s - Love+
Urban Decay e/s - Blackout
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil - Zero 
Bourjois Clubbing Liner - Absolute Black
Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara




Lips Option 1
MAC Lip Pencil - Nightmoth
Urban Decay Lip Envy Lip Stain - Greedy
Models Own Lipgloss - Blackberry



Lips Option 2 
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil - Zero
Maybelline Balm
Scraped up black eyeshadow
Illamasqua Sealing Gel
MAC Fix+
Palette
Plastic Syringe (you could use a pipette or whatever you might have) 



I absolutely LOVE this look!!





So thank you for checking this out, please make sure to watch the tutorial.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Amazing job! Love your photoshopped red eye! xx

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I was so shocked I was able to do more complicated than change the brightness of a photo xx

      Delete