Saturday 23 August 2014

Review: Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick


If you've seen my Sephora haul you will know how excited I was to finally get my hands on some Kat Von D make up. I am a huge fan of her art and style so her make up line is perfect since it's a combination of those things.


left to right: Bauhau5, Outlaw, Lolita

The products I was most interested in were her liquid lipsticks, which is why I treated myself to three of them! Thankfully (spoiler alert) I liked them, since buying three without ever having tried them before was taking a bit of a risk.

The shades I have are Lolita, Outlaw and Bauhau5. Outlaw was my safe choice, since I know I love true reds in a matte finish, and Bauhau5 I chose because I had absolutely nothing like it in terms of the colour, which is rare for me to find these days! It's actually a lot brighter than my lip swatches make it seem. Lolita was an unusal choice for me because I am not one for brown/nude shades, but the swatches I found looked really pretty. It is a lot darker, less pink and browner than those swatches made it appear so I'm very unsure about it. I think it looks ok on me, but I doubt I'll use it often.

These lipsticks come in a long thin tube with a black lid and clear container so you can see which shade is which. I am so in love with the packaging since it has Kat's own art on it, and in a great design. The applicator is a standard doe foot, as I've come to expect with this type of product. 

The lipsticks are all the same consistency, which is a light-medium thickness creamy liquid lipstick. They all set and dry to a very long-lasting matte finish. In my opinion they are not drying, but I am very good with keeping my lips hydrated so I've never had any issues with dryness or chapped lips with any product. With that said I have a feeling that they have the potential to feel uncomfortable to people who do have a problem with this as the finish is very dry and matte.

I'm bad at applying these sorts of products neatly (just look at my swatches!) so I tend to roughly get the colour on the lips and then improve the shape by using a lip pencil around the edges (if I have a colour that matches well enough). 

If, like me, you are unable to test these before purchasing I can guarantee you will like them if you are a fan of other similar products, such as the Lime Crime Velvetines. I also strongly advise using Google Images, YouTube/blog reviews, and tumblr if you want to get a good idea of how the colours look on the lips.

I think these lipsticks are great all-round, and my only regret is that Lolita wasn't the best colour choice for me. They last a really long time, are opaque in one layer, and the packaging is really pretty. As a big fan of matte lipsticks I'm sure I'll end up adding more of these to my collection.

2 comments:

  1. Think I'd get along with Lolita, brown shades somehow really suit me. Been itching to make a large Sephora order featuring loads of Kat Von D. I really love the look of bauhau5 in particular. I tend to use a lip liner whenever I use my velvetines so that might help? Will definitely try a few of these shades out, I've yet to read a negative review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really impressed by these so I don't blame you wanting to try them! I really wanted to get some of the Studded Kiss lipsticks, but I've heard such mixed reviews that I really can't decide which one, and I'm reluctant to take risks on the colours again after discovering Lolita really didn't look like the swatches I saw. I've tried my Velvetines with and without liner, but I'm planning on trying Lolita again with a pink liner cause I think it will help to make the colour more well suited to me.

      Delete